Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Post 8- Thing 4, Know Your Public Library

On a personal level, I have been a public library user from the beginning of time (my time that is). As a child, I'd go as often as possible, check out the maximum limit of books, and then try to read them all in one night. When I first moved to St. Paul, many moons ago, I lived in low-income housing and depended on the public library to keep me in reading material.

These days, I am still a loyal patron, but tend to check out audio books which I listen to in my car. Though I still check out print materials for leisure or informational reading, I am more likely to look for the titles I need at used bookstores and buy them, so as not to have to worry about fines. The available time for reading just isn't there like it used to be, and it can take me much longer to finish reading a book. The SPPL card is good at the Ramsey County Library which is very nice, especially since sometimes there just isn't anything new or interesting in audio books at the St. Paul Branches.

Professionally, I am amazed at what a wonderful resource the local public library is. With very few exceptions, I have found the library staff to be accommodating and supportive. Several years back, when we wanted to make sure that all the 9th graders at HPSH had library cards,
Marcus from the Highland branch traveled to the school weekly for six weeks to cover all of the advisories. In addition to presenting a sales pitch regarding library services, he also forgave hundreds of dollars of student fines in the interest of getting the kids back to the libraries.

The reference desks have also come to my aid and helped out with student queries on numerous occasions. It's fun to have folks who know and like information available to help!
Lastly, I have used the local libraries when materials were needed for class projects, and found the service to be superb! Requests were done by phone and materials were mailed to me. You can't beat that! For those who have not used the local public library for school related projects,
don't wait- call them now!

Leslie

No comments: